Jefferson Surgical Clinic was founded in 1956 by W. W. S. Butler, Jr., M.D.; W. W. S. Butler III, M.D.; A. P. Jones, M.D.; Hugh Trout, Jr., M.D. and Robert L. A. Keeley, M.D. The current office at 1234 Franklin Road, Roanoke, Virginia, housed the original practice that served as Jefferson Hospital and its patients. The Salem, Virginia office was added in 2000, and expanded to a third office at 1229 3rd Street, Roanoke, Virginia in 2001.
In 2008 the Interventional Center was formed in conjunction with Radiology Associates of Roanoke. In 2010, the Neurosurgery and Spine Surgery office in Salem, Virginia was opened.
One year later, the main Jefferson Surgical Clinic office was remodeled and the entire ENT department was moved to the Franklin Road location in 2012.
This growth and expansion is to allow us to better serve the Salem, Roanoke and surrounding communities.
Robert L. A. Keeley, M.D., devoted nearly 50 years to the practice of surgery at Jefferson Surgical Clinic before his passing in 2014. He was the 2004 recipient of the Roanoke Academy of Medicine’s Lifetime Achievement Award, and the 2001 University of Virginia Medical Alumnus of the Year. Dr. Keeley best stated the guiding principles of Jefferson Surgical Clinic when he said:
“First, the patient always comes first. Always. Second, if one of our doctors asks his partner for assistance, it is given. Always. Third, we only choose physicians who we would trust to take care of our own families.”
These retired physicians devoted their careers to Jefferson Surgical Clinic:
- W. W. S. Butler, Jr., M.D.
- A. P. Jones, M.D.
- R. R. Chamberlain, M.D.
- Philip C. Kistler, M.D.
- Edgar B. Cutter, M.D.
- Robert L. A. Keeley, M.D
- W. W. S. Butler, III, M.D.
- W. W. S. Butler, IV, M.D.
- Nelson S. Teague, M.D.
- John T. Allen, M.D.
- William Pasley, M.D.