For appointments or questions call (540) 283-6000.

Our History

Jefferson Surgical Clinic was founded in 1956 by W. W. S. Butler, Jr., M.D.; W. W. S. Butler III, M.D.; A. P. Jones, M.D.; Hugh Trout, Jr., M.D. and Robert L. A. Keeley, M.D. Our current office at 1234 Franklin Road, Roanoke, Virginia, housed the original practice that served the Jefferson Hospital and its patients. The Salem, Virginia, office was added in 2000, and we expanded to a third office at 1229 3rd Street, Roanoke, Virginia, in 2001. 

In 2008 we formed a division called the Interventional Center in conjunction with Radiology Associates of Roanoke, and in 2010 we opened a Neurosurgery and Spine Surgery office in Salem, Virginia. 

One year later we remodeled the main Jefferson Surgical Clinic office, and in late 2012 we moved our entire ENT department to our Franklin Road location.

We continue to grow and expand our services to serve you and the entire Salem, Roanoke and surrounding Virginia communities.

Robert L. A. Keeley, M.D., had devoted nearly 50 years to the practice of surgery at Jefferson Surgical Clinic before his passing in 2014. He was the 2004 recipient of the Roanoke Academy of Medicine’s Lifetime Achievement Award, and the 2001 University of Virginia Medical Alumnus of the Year. Dr. Keeley best stated the guiding principles of Jefferson Surgical Clinic when he said:

“First, the patient always comes first. Always. Second, if one of our doctors asks his partner for assistance, it is given. Always. Third, we only choose physicians who we would trust to take care of our own families.”

These distinguished physicians devoted their careers to, and retired from Jefferson Surgical Clinic:

  • W. W. S. Butler, Jr., M.D.
  • A. P. Jones, M.D.
  • R. R. Chamberlain, M.D.
  • Philip C. Kistler, M.D.
  • Edgar B. Cutter, M.D.
  • Robert L. A. Keeley, M.D
  • W. W. S. Butler, III, M.D.
  • W. W. S. Butler, IV, M.D.
  • Nelson S. Teague, M.D.
  • John T. Allen, M.D.
  • William Pasley, M.D.

 

Robert L. A. Keeley, M.D